In the 1870s Great Longstone was a much larger parish, stretching as far as, and including, Holme Hall on the edge of Bakewell.
The following is an extract from the Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales
LONGSTONE (GREAT), a village, a township, and a chapelry in
Bakewell parish, Derby. The village stands on high ground, under a
lofty range of hills, called Longstone Edge, near the Derby and Buxton
railway, 3 miles NW by N of Bakewell; consists of one long street; and
has a station on the railway, and a post office under Bakewell.
township bears the name of Great Longstone-with-Holme. Real property,
£5,292; of which £990 are in quarries. Population in 1851 was 564 and in 1861 was 683,
living in 130 houses. The increase of population. arose from the temporary presence of
labourers at the forming of the railway.
The manor and much of the land
belong to the Duke of Devonshire. Longstone Hall, an ancient mansion at
the West end of the village, is the seat of T. Gregory, Esq. Holme Hall is
the residence of T. J. Gisborne, Esq.
The chapelry includes also Little
Longstone township, and part of Wardlow (popluation of 925 living in 173 houses. The
living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £190.*
Patron, the Vicar of Bakewell. The church is old; comprises nave and
chancel, with a small tower; and contains monuments of the noble family
of Eyre. There are two dissenting chapels, respectively in Great
Longstone and Little Longstone; and there is a commodious school, built
in 1862, and endowed with £25 a year.
Source = www.visionofbritian.org.uk
For more interesting info see extracts from White's 1857 directory of Derbyshire and search for 'Great Longstone'.
Or Kelly's Directory for 1891
A very good collection of historical information about Longstone can be found on the GENUKI site